The Chairperson is elected by the County Council on an annual basis. The Chairperson’s responsibilities include:
· upholding and promoting the Council’s Constitution
· presiding over Council meetings so that its business can be carried out efficiently and with regard to the rights of councillors and the interests of the community
· ensuring that the Council meeting is a forum for the debate of matters of concern to the local community and a place where members who are not on the Executive are able to hold the Executive and Committee chairs to account.
· promoting public involvement in the Council’s activities
· acting as the conscience of the Council
· attending civic and ceremonial functions