Agenda and minutes

Memorial Hall, Llanfairpwll, Voluntary Sector Liaison Committee - Thursday, 12th January, 2017 2.00 pm

Council meetings are now live-streamed on our YouTube channel.

You are also able to see a list of our upcoming live-stream meetings.

All meetings are also uploaded after the event onto our webcasting site.

Venue: Memorial Hall, Llanfairpwll

Contact: Shirley Cooke 

Items
No. Item

1.

Chairperson

To elect a Chairperson for the Committee.

Minutes:

Councillor Alun Mummery was elected Chairperson of the Liaison Committee to the end of March, 2017.

2.

Vice-Chairperson

To elect a Vice-Chairperson for the Committee.

Minutes:

Mr Islwyn Humphreys was elected Vice-Chairperson of the Committee.

3.

Declaration of Interest

To receive any declaration of interest from any Member or officer regarding any item of business.

Minutes:

No declaration of interest was received.

4.

Minutes pdf icon PDF 186 KB

·           To submit for confirmation, the draft minutes of the meeting of the Voluntary Sector Liaison Committee held on the 8th July, 2016.

 

·           To submit the minutes of the previous meeting of the Voluntary Sector Liaison Committee scheduled for 13th October, 2016.

 

Additional documents:

Minutes:

The draft minutes of the meeting of the Voluntary Sector Liaison Committee held on 8th July, 2016 were presented and confirmed as correct.

 

Arising thereon:-

 

Item 1 - Chairperson

 

In relation to representation from the Betsi Cadwadadr University Health Board (BCUHB) on this Committee, it was resolved that the Assistant Chief Executive seek confirmation from the Trust.

 

Action: As noted above.

 

Item 3 – 14th October, 2016 Minutes

 

The Assistant Chief Executive reported that she has shared the information requested in relation to the Authority’s investment in the Third Sector with the Chief Officer, Medrwn Môn.

 

Item 5 - Review of the Funding Code of Practice and the Voluntary Sector Allocation 2015/16

 

The Chief Officer, Medrwn Môn reported that that the Charitable Trust have requested a meeting with the Head of Function (Resources)/Section 151 Officer to discuss potential funding via the Trust.

 

Item 6 - The Voluntary Sector’s Strategy and the Liaison Committee’s Role

 

The Chief Officer, Medrwn Môn reported that the Medrwn Môn Board have discussed further options to build on the current partnership arrangements regarding drafting the strategy for joint working.

 

The Assistant Chief Executive reported that data collated is in the process of being analysed from responses to the Consultation on the Future Generations Act.

 

The Assistant Chief Executive reported that Llio Johnson, the Senior Partnership Manager would update the next meeting of the Medrwn Môn Board.

 

The Committee noted that the meeting of the Voluntary Sector Liaison Committee scheduled for the 13th October, 2016 was not quorate, therefore did not proceed.

5.

Working in Partnership

To receive a report from the Chief Officer, Medrwn Môn.

Minutes:

The Chief Officer, Medrwn Môn tabled a discussion paper on the vision and strategy for working in partnership with the Third Sector on Anglesey, and the need for an action plan to realise the vision and aims of the strategic documents  produced ie the Compact, Funding Code, Voluntary Policy, Partnership Policy.

 

The Chief Officer, Medrwn Môn acknowledged that although the Sector has faced many challenges over recent years with the introduction of the Social Services and Well-being (Wales) Act 2014 and the joint partnership with the Betsi Cadwaladr University Health Board (BCUHB), the Sector’s contribution is creating a positive impact on service users. It was noted that further work needs to be done to include Medrwn Môn in discussions, to improve communication, and respond more efficiently to members of the public.

 

Reference was made to the success of community hubs in Beaumaris, Menai Bridge etc in bringing people together and sharing ideas and resources. It was noted that the model for community hubs permits individuals to make decisions regarding activities in their community.

 

Action:

 

Medrwn Môn in consultation with the Isle of Anglesey County Council to draft an action plan for submission to the next meeting.

6.

Community Voices

To receive an update by Medrwn Môn.

Minutes:

The Chief Officer, Medrwn Môn referred to Item 8 of the minutes of the 8th July, 2016, the Community Voice project would be coming to an end in March, 2017.

 

It was noted that discussions have taken place with the National Lottery regarding Third Sector future funding arrangements.  An application for a grant will be submitted by the end of March, 2017, and if successful, would ensure the continuation of the following projects:-

 

  Citizen’s Panel;

  Engagement and Consultation with the County Council;

  Children and Young People Framework for working with the County Council;

  Model for Building Communities.

 

It was also noted that Medrwn Môn have applied for funding through the Charitable Trust.       

 

With reference to the consultation on the Budget for 2017/18, Medrwn Mȏn sought clarity on the impact of budget cuts on Third Sector funding for the forthcoming financial year. 

 

Arising from discussion, the lack of volunteers in the Third Sector was highlighted, together with the need to develop volunteering skills. Discussion focused on ways to encourage volunteering, and the potential to utilise the skills of many of the volunteers associated with the Ynys Môn 2017 National Eiseddfod.

 

Action:

 

The Head of Democratic Services to discuss this aspect with officials of the National Eisteddfod.

7.

The Forward Work Programme pdf icon PDF 504 KB

To submit for information, a report by the Head of Democratic Services, as presented to the Executive on 19th December, 2016.

Minutes:

The Head of Democratic Services reported on the Executive’s Forward Work Programme for the period January to August, 2017 as presented to the Executive on the 19th December, 2016.

 

This Work Programme is circulated to Medrwn Môn on a monthly basis to update the Sector on matters which are scheduled for consideration by the Executive and Scrutiny Committees.

 

RESOLVED to accept the report.

8.

Next Meeting

To consider a venue for the Committee’s next meeting scheduled for 2.00 pm on 13th July, 2017.

Minutes:

Following discussion regarding convening meetings centrally in future, the Committee agreed that the next meeting of the Liaison Committee scheduled for 2.00pm on Thursday, 13th July, 2016 be held at the Council Offices, Llangefni.

 

It was resolved that 2 meetings out of every 3 be convened internally, with 1 externally.  It was agreed that this arrangement be reviewed in the future.