A number of council meetings are live-streamed.
All meetings are also uploaded after the event onto the our webcasting site.
Venue: Council Chamber - Council Offices, Llangefni & virtually via ZOOM
Contact: Mrs Mairwen Hughes
Election of Chairperson
To elect a Chairperson of the Isle of Anglesey County Council for 2023/24.
(Members are referred to the ‘Order of Business’ regarding the ceremony for election of Chairperson of the County Council).
It was RESOLVED that Councillor Margaret Murley Roberts be elected as Chairperson of the County Council for 2023/2024.
In accepting the honour of being appointed, Councillor Margaret M Roberts assured the Council that she would endeavour to fulfil her duties as Chairperson to the best of her abilities. She thanked her predecessor Councillor Dafydd Roberts for the Page 5 2 dignified and honourable way in which he carried out his duties as Chair of the County Council and presented him with a gift to acknowledge his service.
The outgoing Chairperson, Councillor Dafydd Roberts thanked the electorate of the Bodowyr Ward and all the Members and Officers for their support during his term of office as Vice-Chair and Chair of the County Council. He referred that the Democratic Services support has changed recently and he wished to thank Mrs Carys Bullock for her support. He also wished to thank Mrs Debbie Jones and Miss Chloe Hughes within the Democratic Services for their support and to Mr Dyfan Sion the recently appointed Head of Democracy. He acknowledged the work undertaken by the Officers of the Council during the difficult period of the pandemic and the cost of living crisis. Councillor Dafydd Roberts highlighted the main events he undertook as Chair and especially in opening the Isle of Anglesey County Council’s marquee at the Anglesey Agricultural Show. He also referred to the honour of been able to present the former Councillor Noel Thomas with a long delayed vote of thanks and acknowledging the miscarriage of justice which he endured.
Election of a Vice-Chairperson
To elect a Vice-Chairperson for the Isle of Anglesey County Council for 2023/24.
It was RESOLVED that Councillor Glyn Haynes be elected Vice-Chairperson of the County Council for 2023/2024.
Declaration of Interest
To receive any declaration of interest from any Member or Officer in respect of any item of business.
To receive any announcements from the Chairperson or the Chief Executive and any closing remarks from the out-going Chair upon his term of office.
The Chair made the following announcements:-
• Congratulations extended to Ysgol Corn Hir and Ysgol y Borth in reaching the Urdd netball final in Aberystwyth. Ysgol Corn Hir won the competition with Ysgol Borth finishing second.
• Congratulations extended to a number of individuals from Anglesey who completed the 5k ‘race for life’ in Caernarfon on the 14th May, 2023 and who raised funds for good causes.
• Congratulations extended to Mr Stuart Jewell, from the IT department who ran the London Marathon to raise money for Awyr Las – Penrhos Stanley Hospital.
• Congratulations extended to Mr Martin Roberts from Finance Department who has been chosen to referee in the UEFA Nations Cup tournament in Spain next month.
• Congratulations extended to Thea Scowcroft-Roberts from Ysgol Rhoscolyn who won a competition to create a design that has inspired a logo for the new Holyhead Heritage College – the first college of its kind in Wales.
• Congratulations extended to Mr Alan Carter and Mr John Pritchard who have represented Wales Walking Football over 65’s in the International Masters 5 a side World Cup in Zurich. They helped Wales to come second in the competition.
• Congratulations extended to Keith and Rhian from the Foster Wales Anglesey team and Sioned and Ffion from the Resilient Families team for completing the challenge of climbing Snowdon, Cader Idris and Pen y Fan within 21 hours and 40 minutes. Congratulations also to one of the Authority’s Foster Carers, Alina Williams for joining the team to climb Snowdon (Yr Wyddfa).
• Congratulations extended to the Children and Families Service and Action for Children for receiving high praise for their work with young carers here in Anglesey at a Social Care Wales prize giving ceremony in Cardiff recently.
• Best wishes extended to the children and young people of Anglesey who will be competing in the Urdd Eisteddfod in Llanymddyfri at the end of the month. • Best wishes extended to all competitors from Anglesey who will be taking part in the Island Games in Guernsey in July.
• Congratulations extended to all who have a link to Anglesey who will be accepted as members of the Gorsedd at the National Eisteddfod.
* * * * *
Condolences were extended to the family, friends and co-workers of Ms Angela Bennett who worked in the Revenue and Benefits Department.
Condolences were extended to the families of two former County Councillors, Mr Keith Thomas and Mr Eric Roberts.
Condolences were extended to the former Council Leader, Mr Gareth Winston Roberts on the loss of his wife recently.
Condolences were also extended to any Member of the County Council or Staff who had suffered a bereavement.
Members and Officers stood as silent tribute.
* * * * *
With the agreement of the Chair, Councillor Robert Ll Jones paid tribute to the recently deceased Mr Sean Burns, who was born and bred in Trearddur Bay, Holy Island. Mr Burns was the Administrator of Tristan da Cunha, Ascension ... view the full minutes text for item 4.
Membership of the Executive
In accordance with Paragraph 126.96.36.199.7 of the Constitution, to be informed by the Leader of the names of Councillors she has chosen to be Members of the Executive, together with their Portfolio responsibilities.
In accordance with Paragraph 188.8.131.52.7 of the Constitution, the Leader named the following as the Members she had chosen to serve on the Executive along with their Portfolio responsibilities :-
Councillor Llinos Medi (Leader) with Portfolio responsibility for Economic Development;
Councillor Robin Williams (Deputy Leader) with Portfolio responsibility for Finance;
Councillor Ieuan Williams (Deputy Leader) with Portfolio responsibility for Education and the Welsh Language;
Councillor Neville Evans with Portfolio responsibility for Leisure, Tourism and Maritime;
Councillor Carwyn Jones with Portfolio responsibility for Corporate Business and Customer Experience;
Councillor Gary Pritchard with Portfolio responsibility for Children (Social Services), Youth and Housing Services;
Councillor Alun Roberts with Portfolio responsibility for Adults’ Services (Social Services) and Community Safety;
Councillor Nicola Roberts with Portfolio responsibility for Planning, Public Protection and Climate Change;
Councillor Dafydd Rhys Thomas with Portfolio responsibility for Highways, Waste and Property.
Election of Chair of the Democratic Services Committee
In accordance with Paragraph 184.108.40.206 of the Constitution, to appoint the Chair of the Democratic Services Committee for the municipal year.
In accordance with Paragraph 220.127.116.11 of the Constitution it was RESOLVED that Councillor Keith Roberts be elected Chairperson of the Democratic Services Committee.
Confirmation of the Scheme of Delegation
The Chairperson will confirm such part of the Scheme of Delegation as the Constitution determines it is for the Council to agree (as set out in Paragraph 3.2 of the Constitution).
It was RESOLVED to confirm such part of the Scheme of Delegation as the Constitution determines it is for the Council to agree as set out in Part 3.2 of the Constitution.
Confirmation of Committees
The Chairperson will confirm the re-appointment of the following Committee structure as referred to in Section 3.4 of the Council’s Constitution, together with the following:-
• Standards Committee Appointments Panel
• Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE)
• Indemnities Sub-Committee
The Chairperson confirmed the re-appointment of the Committee structure as referred to in Section 3.4 of the Council’s Constitution, together with the following :-
· Standards Committee Selection Panel
· Standing Advisory Council on Religious Education (SACRE)
· Indemnities Sub-Committee
Programme of Meetings of the County Council for 2023/24
To approve the following programme of meetings of the County Council for the ensuing year:-
· 12 September 2023 - 2:00pm
· 26 October, 2023 (Extraordinary) - 2.00 pm
· 5 December 2023 - 2:00pm
· 7 March 2024 - 2:00pm
· May 2024 (Annual Meeting) - date to be confirmed
It was RESOLVED to approve the following programme of ordinary meeting of the County Council for the ensuing year:-
· 12 September, 2023 - 2.00 pm
· 26 October, 2023 - 2.00 pm
· 5 December, 2023 - 2.00 pm
· May 2024 (Annual Meeting) – date to be confirmed
To submit a report by the Head of Democracy.
The report of the Head of Democracy regarding the Council’s political balance arrangements was presented for consideration.
It was RESOLVED :-
· To confirm the political balance arrangements and the number of seats allocated to each of the Groups under the Local Government and Housing Act 1989;
· That Group Leaders advise the Head of Democracy as soon as
possible if there are any changes to Group Membership on Committees.
To submit a report by the Head of Democracy.
The report of the Head of Democracy regarding the appointment to Outside Bodies was presented for consideration.
It was RESOLVED to agree and confirm appointments as detailed in the
schedule to the report.
To submit a report by the Head of Democracy.
The report of the Head of Democracy regarding the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales – Annual Report for 2023-2024 was presented for consideration.
It was RESOLVED:-
· To accept the determinations of the Independent Remuneration Panel for Wales for 2023-2024 ;
· To confirm that holders of the same posts as 2022-2023 will be entitled to receive senior salaries in 2023-2024, ie:-
Chair of the Council
Vice-Chair of the Council
Leader of the Council
Deputy Leader of the Council
Other Executive Members (7)
Leader of the Largest Opposition Group
Chairs of Scrutiny Committees (2)
Chair of the Planning and Orders Committee
· To authorise officers to amend Part 6 of the Council’s Constitution (Schedule of Member Remuneration) to reflect the determinations made in the 2023-2024 Annual Report.