Council meetings are now live-streamed on our YouTube channel.
You are also able to see a list of our upcoming live-stream meetings.
All meetings are also uploaded after the event onto our webcasting site.
Venue: Council Chamber, Council Offices, Llangefni. View directions
Contact: Mrs Mairwen Hughes
To submit for confirmation, the draft minutes of the County Council held on the following dates:-
• 14 May 2019 (Ordinary Meeting)
• 14 May 2019 (Annual Meeting)
• 15 July 2019 (Extraordinary)
• 22 August 2019 (Extraordinary)
The minutes of the following meetings were confirmed as correct:-
· 14 May, 2019 (Ordinary Meeting)
· 14 May, 2019 (Annual Meeting)
· 15 July, 2019 (Extraordinary)
· 22 August, 2019 (Extraordinary)
Declaration of Interest
To receive any declaration of interest from any Member or Officer in respect of any item of business.
To receive any announcements from the Chairperson, the Leader of the Council or the Chief Executive
The Chair made the following announcements:-
· Congratulations to those from Anglesey who were successful at the Anglesey Show, the Royal Welsh Show and the National Eisteddfod;
· Congratulations to Sian Morgan, a Support Worker with the Council who has received the ‘Caring in Welsh’ award which was presented at the National Eisteddfod in Llanrwst;
· Congratulations to the pupils of the Island’s Secondary Schools on their success in the GCSE’s and A level exams. Best wishes was extended to the pupils who will be starting their college courses in due course;
· Congratulations was extended to Samantha Goad, the Sport Wales and Anglesey Young Ambassador on receiving the Diana Memorial Award which is awarded for outstanding achievements of young people;
· Congratulation to Councillor Robert Ll Jones who has celebrated a special birthday recently.
Members requested that a letter be sent to Mr Albert Owen MP thanking him for his services as a Member of Parliament for Ynys Môn, Mr Owen will be not seeking re-election at the next Parliamentary Election.
The Chair announced that the Chair’s Sunday Service will be held on 13th October, 2019 at Carmel Chapel, Moelfre.
Best wishes was extended to the newly appointed Director of Education, Skills and Young People, Mr Rhys H Hughes.
* * * *
The Chair referred that this will be the last meeting of the County Council for Dr Gwynne Jones as Chief Executive and wished him well on his retirement. She said that Dr Gwynne Jones is highly respected within Local Government across Wales and further afield and by Elected Members and Officers of the Council.
The Leader of the Council wished to thank Dr Gwynne Jones for the service he has given to the County Council and his commitment to the Authority over the last 4 years as Chief Executive.
Members of the Council also wished to thank Dr Gwynne Jones for his service to the Council and wished him well on his retirement.
Best wishes was extended to Mrs Annwen Morgan on her appointment as Chief Executive following the retirement of Dr Gwynne Jones.
Presentation of Petitions
To receive any petition in accordance with Paragraph 4.1.11 of the Constitution.
The Chair said that there was one petition with 250 signatures from the residents of the village of Llanfechell opposing the loss of a School Patrol Officer – petition forwarded to the Head of Highways, Property and Waste.
To present the following reports, as submitted to the Audit and Governance Committee on 3 September 2019.
• Statement of Accounts for 2018/19;
• External Auditor’s report on the audit of the financial statements.
Submitted – the following reports by the Director of Function (Resources)/Section 151 Officer as submitted to the Audit and Governance Committee on 3 September,
· Statement of Accounts for 2018/19;
· External Auditor’s report on the audit of the financial statements.
The Chair of the Audit Committee sought clarification as to whether the total of receipts received by the Council from the sale of surplus buildings are identified separately within the Accounts.
The Director of Function (Resources)/Section 151 Officer responded by noting that the capital receipts are detailed in a specific note within the Statement of Accounts (note 10). The balance of unused capital receipts as at 31 March 2019 was £1.18m and he reminded the Member that capital receipts can only be utilised to fund the creation of a fixed asset i.e. one which has an useful life of more than 12 months, or to reduce the Council’s borrowing. Capital receipts cannot be used to fund revenue expenditure.
It was RESOLVED :-
· To accept the Statement of Accounts 2018/19 and authorise the Director of Function (Resources)/Section 151 Officer to sign the accounts;
· To note the acceptance of the Annual Governance Statement 2018/19 by the Audit and Governance and refer the document to the Leader of the Council and the Chief Executive for signature.
To submit a report by the Chair of the Standards Committee Selection Panel.
Submitted – a report by the Chair of the Standards Committee Selection Panel.
It was RESOLVED :-
· To appoint Mr Thomas Rhys Davies, Mrs Celyn Menai Edwards, Mrs Gill Murgatroyd and Mrs Sharon Warnes as co-opted independent members of the Standards Committee from 20th December, 2019, for up to two terms as permitted by the statute and the Constitution;
· In the event that a further casual vacancy for an independent member of the Standards Committee arises during the next twelve months, to automatically appoint Mrs Pauline Vella to this role without need for a further recruitment process, provided always that Mrs Vella remain eligible for the role;
· To confirm that Councillor Dafydd Rhys Thomas remains as County Councillor representative until the next election in 2022;
· To appoint Councillor John Arwel Roberts as County Councillor representative on the Standards Committee, initially until the next election in 2022, with the potential to sit for a further term;
· To thank Councillor T Ll Hughes MBE for his work as County Councillor representative on the Standards Committee;
· To confirm that the Head of Function (Council Business)/Monitoring Officer be given authority to include the Standards Committee Selection Panel in the Council’s Constitution to avoid the ongoing need for ‘saving provisions’ in the committee structure report which is affirmed by the Council at its annual meetings.
To submit a report by the Director of Social Services as presented to the Executive on 15 July 2019.
Submitted – a report by the Director of Social Services as presented to the Executive on 15 July, 2019.
It was RESOLVED to accept the report.